The Pomeranian Spitz is one of the oldest dog breeds that is of German origin. The name of the breed comes from the name of the region of Pomerania, which is located on the territory of modern Poland and Germany. It is believed that the ancestors of this breed were dogs known as “Spitz-Mollard” or “Spitz-Melhund,” which were popular in Europe during the Middle Ages.
For centuries, the Pomeranian Spitz was a favorite breed with European monarchs and aristocracy. They were bred from crossbreeding small German Spitzes and other small dogs, such as Pomeranian Spitzes from Scandinavia and Russia. In addition to their small size, these dogs had high energy and vivacity, which made them attractive to keep at home.
Today, the Pomeranian Spitz is one of the most popular dog breeds in the world, especially in the United States and Japan.
Appearance of the Pomeranian Spitz
The Pomeranian Spitz is about 20-30 cm tall at the withers, and the adult dog weighs between 1.5 and 3 kg. They have thick, double, fluffy fur, which consists of a tufted coat and soft undercoat. Colors of fur can be different: from white to black, black and tan, golden, cream, etc. The appearance of the Pomeranian Spitz is distinguished by its gracefulness and elegance. They have a short muzzle, large ears, and a fluffy, curled tail.
Character and Behavior of the Pomeranian Spitz
Pomeranian Spitzes are known for their lively and active personality, which make them great companions for active people. They are also very intelligent and have great curiosity, so they are easy to train and learn new commands.
Despite their small size, Pomeranian Spitzes are known for their loud barking and are often unfriendly to strangers. This makes them great watchdogs, but also requires socialization and training to ensure that they don’t show aggression in unnecessary situations.
Care requirements for the Pomeranian Spitz
The Pomeranian Spitz is a fairly healthy breed, but like other breeds, they have a number of features to look out for when caring for them.
Because of their fluffy coat, Pomeranian Spitzes need daily hygiene to avoid dandruff and hair stains. They also need weekly baths and regular haircuts to maintain their appearance. They should also get enough exercise and training so that they don’t become prone to excessive barking and anxiety-related behaviors.
What is the difference between a Spitz and a Pomeranian Spitz?
The Spitz and the Pomeranian Spitz are two different dog breeds, although they both belong to the German Spitz.
The main difference between the two breeds is size and weight. The Spitz is a medium sized dog with a height of 30 to 38 cm and a weight of 5 to 15 kg, while the Pomeranian Spitz is a small breed with a height of 20 to 30 cm and a weight of 1.5 to 3 kg. Thus, the Pomeranian Spitz is the dwarf version of the Spitz.
Another difference between these breeds is the color of the coat. Spitzes usually have a brown, chepracha, or white coat, while the Pomeranian Spitz has a wider range of colors, including cream, golden, black, and more.
The character of both dog breeds is quite similar: they are both energetic, curious, intelligent, and easy to train. However, the Pomeranian Spitz can be more stubborn and independent than the average Spitz, which can lead to difficulties in training and socialization.
Overall, both breeds are wonderful companion dogs that require daily exercise and coat care. However, if you prefer smaller dogs that do not require a lot of space in the house, the Pomeranian Spitz may be a great choice for you.
Top 10 facts about the Pomeranian Spitz:
- The Pomeranian Spitz is one of the smallest dog breeds in the world, which was bred by crossing small German Spitzes and Pomeranian Spitzes from Scandinavia and Russia.
- Their name is derived from the name of the region of Pomerania, located in what is now Poland and Germany.
- Pomeranian Spitzes have short muzzles, big ears and curled tails, as well as fluffy, double fur.
- These dogs are very active and energetic, and can be great companions for active people.
- They are very intelligent and inquisitive creatures, which makes them easy to train.
- Although they can be quite independent and stubborn, with proper socialization and training they become loyal and loyal to their owners.
- Pomeranian Spitzes have a wide range of colors, including cream, golden, black, and more.
- Some famous people who have owned Pomeranian Spitzes include Charlize Theron, Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton.
- Pomeranian Spitzes can sometimes be aggressive, especially toward strangers or animals, so it is recommended that you begin socializing your dogs early.
- Pomeranian Spitzes are hugely popular around the world, especially in the United States and Japan, and are great companion dogs for those living in apartments or small homes.
The Pomeranian Spitz is an amazingly lively and loyal breed of dog that can be the perfect companion for active people living in an apartment. Although these dogs may have an independent and stubborn personality, with proper socialization and training they become very loyal to their owners. They have great energy and curiosity, and are easily taught various commands and tricks. In addition, these dogs have a wide range of colors and are noted for their gracefulness and elegance. However, they can be aggressive to strangers or animals, so it is recommended to start socializing dogs early to avoid such problems. Overall, the Pomeranian Spitz is a great dog breed for those looking for a small and energetic companion who will be loyal and loyal to their owners.