The Bernese Sennenhund, also known as the Bernese Mountain Dog, is a large breed originating from Switzerland. This breed was originally bred for use as farm helpers, and they are now popular as pets. If you are considering purchasing this breed, you will be interested in learning more about them.
The Bernese Sennenhund is one of the four Swiss mountain dogs. They come from the Berne Plateau region, where they were used to guard cattle, pull carts and other agricultural tasks. They were also used for dragging goods to markets, and their history goes back 2,000 years.
The Bernese Sennenhund has a medium length coat that may be smooth or wavy, but is always thick and soft to the touch. They have a distinctive black and white and red color. These dogs are large and muscular, adults reach a weight of 36 to 50 kg and a height of 58 to 70 cm at the withers. The Bernese Sennenhund is friendly and affectionate, ideal for families and has a high level of intelligence.
The Bernese Sennenhend needs regular walks and exercise, they love to run and play. They also need daily coat care, to prevent curling and accumulation of dirt in their gaps. They also need daily dental and ear hygiene care, as well as regular vet visits for health checks.
The Bernese Sennenhund is an intelligent breed that usually learns quickly and obeys commands well. They love interacting with people and can be easily trained with positive reinforcement. However, because they are large dogs, they may need additional training to control behavior and prevent unwanted behavior.
Like most dog breeds, Bernese Sennenhunds have certain healthy problems that need to be addressed. They may be prone to hip and elbow dysplasia as well as eye problems. Prospective owners should look for puppies born to certified parents who have been tested for genetic diseases.
Top 10 facts about the Bernese Sennenkhund:
- Origin of the breed: The Bernese Sennenhend originated in Switzerland, where it was used to guard livestock and perform agricultural tasks.
- Characteristics: The Bernese Sennenhend is a large, muscular breed with a black and white-red coat and kind eyes. They have a friendly and affectionate disposition, making them ideal for families.
- Sizes: Adult Bernese Sennenhund can reach a weight of 36-50kg and height between 58-70cm at withers.
- Care: The Bernese Sennenhend needs regular walks and exercise. They need daily care for their coat, teeth, ears and hygiene.
- Training: The Bernese Sennenhand is an intelligent breed that is usually quick to learn and obeys commands well. However, as they are large dogs, they may need extra training to control behavior.
- Health: Like most dog breeds, the Bernese Sennenhand has certain healthy problems that need attention, including hip and elbow dysplasia.
- Longevity: Bernese Sennenhunds typically live 7 to 10 years.
- Sociality: The Bernese SS is a very social breed, they love to socialize with people and can make excellent pets.
- Employment: The Bernese Sennenkhund was also used for pulling carts, dragging goods to markets and other agricultural tasks.
- Popularity: The Bernese Sennenhund has become popular all over the world because of its gentle nature, intelligence, and ability to adapt easily to life in a domestic environment.
The Bernese Sennenhend is a large, friendly and affectionate dog breed that originated in Switzerland. They are ideal for families looking for reliable, active and loyal pets. However, like any dog breed, they have their own healthy issues to consider, and they need daily care and training. If you are willing to give them all the conditions for a happy and healthy life, the Bernese Sennenhand can be a great companion for the whole family.