The English Springer Spaniel is a breed of dog that originated in Great Britain in the 19th century. They were used for hunting birds and also as companions for hunting rats. Today, this breed is popular among people who want to have a pet.
The English Springer Spaniel is of medium size, with a height at withers of 46 to 51 cm and a weight of 18 to 25 kg. The coat is smooth or easily curly, with little undercoat. Color varies: black-white, brown-white, red-white, pale-white, as well as tricolor and bicolor.
Character and behavior
The English Springer Spaniel is an intelligent, loyal, and friendly breed. They have a high energy level and need regular exercise. They are very friendly with children and other pets, but may be aggressive to unfamiliar dogs or animals on walks. They can also show resilience and stubbornness, so they need a strict, but not cruel, educational approach.
The English Springer Spaniel is an average grooming breed. Their coat needs regular brushing and clipping, especially around their ears and feet. Their ears also need to be cleaned regularly to avoid infections.
In addition, English Springer Spaniels need regular physical activity. They love to run and play, so they need long walks and opportunities to play outdoors. They can also engage in agility, Frisbee, or other dog sports.
Socialization and training should also be provided for the English Springer Spaniel. Early socialization will help them be confident and calm around other people and animals. Training will help them learn commands and develop their intelligence.
What is the difference between a springer spaniel and a cocker spaniel?
There are two main breeds of spaniels that are most popular as pets: the English Cocker Spaniel and the English Springer Spaniel. Although these breeds are very similar, there are a few key differences to consider when choosing a dog.
- Size: The English Cocker Spaniel is smaller than the English Springer Spaniel. Cocker Spaniels have an average height at withers of 36 to 41 cm and weigh 12 to 14 kg, while Springer Spaniels have a height at withers of 46 to 51 cm and weigh 18 to 25 kg.
- Physical Features: English Cocker Spaniels have rounder heads and larger, bulging eyes, while Springer Spaniels have a narrower, more square head. Springer Spaniels also have longer, fluffier coats.
- Character: Both breeds are friendly and loyal to their owners, but Springer Spaniels have a higher energy level and are more stubborn than Cocker Spaniels. Springer Spaniels may be more suitable for active people who can give them enough exercise, whereas Cocker Spaniels may be more suitable for people who live in small apartments or who have limited space for physical activity.
- Hunting Performance: Both breeds were bred for hunting birds, but Springer Spaniels are often used for hunting larger game such as pheasants and geese, whereas Cocker Spaniels are usually used for hunting smaller game such as grouse.
In general, the choice between the English Cocker Spaniel and the English Springer Spaniel depends on each owner’s needs and preferences. Both breeds are excellent pets, but may have some differences in care and exercise requirements.
In any case, when choosing a breed, it is worth paying attention to both the physical and characteristic features of each breed, as well as ensuring they receive proper care and regular exercise.
Top 10 facts about the English Springer Spaniel:
- The English Springer Spaniel was bred in England in the 19th century to hunt birds, particularly poults.
- This breed got its name because of its ability to “jump” on prey, jumping up immediately before grabbing it.
- The English Springer Spaniel is often confused with the American Springer Spaniel, but these are different breeds with different characteristics.
- This breed is very friendly and loyal. They interact easily with children and other pets.
- The English Springer Spaniel has high energy and needs regular exercise such as long walks, running or playing.
- They can be stubborn and resilient, so they need a strict, but not cruel, educational approach.
- English Springer Spaniels can be used as companion dogs as well as to participate in dog sports such as agility or Frisbee.
- The English Springer Spaniel’s coat needs regular brushing and clipping, especially around the ears and legs.
- The English Springer Spaniel can live in an apartment, but they need regular exercise and an active life.
- This breed is considered healthy and has a long lifespan, with an average lifespan of 12 to 14 years.
The English Springer Spaniel is a dog breed that is ideal for active people who can give them regular exercise and enough attention. They are very friendly and loyal, so will be great pets for families with children and other pets. This breed can also be a good choice for those looking for a canine sports partner. However, before getting an English Springer Spaniel, consider their regular grooming and training needs.