The Coton de Tulear is a dog breed that was bred in Madagascar. Today, this breed is considered rare and exotic, and its representatives boast not only a beautiful appearance, but also a beautiful character. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about the Coton de Tulear.
The Coton de Tulear were bred in the city of Tulear, Madagascar, and their history is linked to the royal courts of that island. Dogs of this breed were very valuable, and they were used as parrots as gifts for nobles. Soon the Coton de Tulear became popular among European sailors, who took them with them on their ships. On the sea route, the Cotons kept the crew safe from rats and mice, and became true friends and companions to sailors on long voyages.
The Coton de Tulear are small dogs that do not weigh more than 6 kilograms. They have a long white coat that resembles cotton. Cotons’ eyes are round and expressive, and their ears are long and curled. The character of Cotons is very friendly and affectionate. They are very fond of human companionship and get along very well with other animals. Cotons are gentle and require attention, and should not be left alone for long.
Care of the koton
Taking care of a Coton de Tulear requires little effort. Their coat does not fall out and does not require special care. In order to keep the coat white, it should be brushed and combed regularly. It is also important to check the ears regularly and clean them of wax to avoid possible infections. Cotons are very active and need daily walks and games. It is also important to watch their food and not to overfeed them.
The Coton de Tulear is excellent to train due to its intelligent and obedient nature. But do not forget that Cotons are very gentle and require gentle handling. It is best to start training at an early age and use only positive training methods.
The Coton de Tulear, like many other dog breeds, is susceptible to some diseases such as joint dysplasia, cataracts, and allergies. It is important to have regular checkups with your veterinarian and monitor your pet’s health.
Top 10 facts about the Coton de Tulear:
- The Coton de Tulear is one of the rarest dog breeds in the world.
- Their name comes from the French word “coton,” which means cotton, and the name of the town of Tulear in Madagascar.
- Cotons are very easy to train and learn new commands.
- They are very energetic dogs that need regular walks and active games.
- Although Cotons are very friendly, they can be very cautious and guard their owner if threatened.
- The Coton de Tulear has a unique coat that resembles cotton and that does not shed.
- This breed is considered very healthy and they rarely get diseases.
- Cotons are very social and like to socialize with people, so they don’t like to be left alone.
- Cotons are great companions for people of all ages, including children.
- This breed has been one of the most popular gifts among royal families in Madagascar.
The Coton de Tulear is a unique breed of dog that has great character, intelligence, and an unusual appearance. They are very friendly, love human companionship, and make excellent companions for all family members. However, like any breed, Cotons have their own characteristics and care requirements, so before purchasing this breed, you should study its characteristics well and learn how to properly care for them. All in all, the Coton de Tulear is a great choice for those looking for an active and friendly pet that will be a true friend for years to come.