The Chinese Crested Dog is one of the oldest dog breeds in the world. Its origins are attributed to the Chinese Emperors, who bred the breed to hunt rats and other rodents. It is believed that the ancestors of the Chinese Crested Dog were bred more than 2,000 years ago.
There are several varieties of the Chinese Crested Dog: hairless, down and covered.
The Chinese Crested Dog has a unique appearance that sets it apart from other breeds. It has a bare or downy skin on its body, while there are brushes of wool on its head, on the tips of its ears and on its tail.
The size of the Chinese Crested Dog ranges from 25 to 33 cm in height and 4 to 7 kg in weight. Colors of the breed can be different: from white and cream to black and brown shades. Wool comes in two types: stiff and smooth.
Character of the Chinese Crested Dog
The Chinese Crested Dog is a very loyal breed that prefers to be in the company of its owners. They are great as companion dogs, but can also be used for rodent hunting.
These dogs are highly intelligent and smart to train. They can be quite independent, but at the same time need constant attention and care from their owners.
Chinese Crested Dogs are great with children and other animals, but can be somewhat shy around strangers. They are easy to train and can act as a protector for their family.
The Chinese Crested Dog does not require any special care, but still needs some treatments to keep their coat healthy and clean. Their bare skin can be susceptible to sunburn, so they need extra protection in hot weather.
Chinese Crested dog nutrition should be balanced and appropriate for their age and activity. They need enough protein and fats to keep them healthy and energetic.
It is also important to take care of their coat and skin hygiene. If coats are present, they should be brushed to avoid tangles and lumps. The bare skin should be treated with special products to keep it healthy.
What are Chinese Crested Dogs?
There are three varieties of Chinese Crested Dog:
- The hairless Chinese Crested Dog is a type of dog that has no hair on most of its body, but has tassels of hair on its head, tips of its ears and tail. This type of dog is quite suitable for people who suffer from hair allergies.
- The Powderpuff Chinese Crested Dog (Powderpuff) is a variety that has a thick, soft coat all over its body. These dogs have a soft character and are well suited as companion dogs.
- The Hairy Hairless Chinese Crested Dog is a variety that has body hair, but it is much rarer than other dog breeds. The hair on the body of the Chinese Crested Dog covers only certain areas of the body, while there are tassels of hair on the head, the tips of the ears, and the tail.
Each variety of Chinese Crested dog has its own unique characteristics and care requirements. Some people prefer hairless dogs, while others prefer down or covered dogs. The choice depends on personal preferences and owners’ capabilities.
Top 10 facts about the Chinese Crested Dog:
- The Chinese Crested Dog is one of the oldest dog breeds, originating in China and was bred to hunt rodents.
- There are three varieties of the Chinese Crested Dog: hairless, down and coated.
- Crested dogs may have tassels on the tips of their ears and tail as well as on their heads.
- They have a very intelligent mind and high intelligence, which makes them easy to train.
- Crested dogs can be shy around strangers, but are great with children and other animals.
- Crested dogs have no fur on most of their body, making them more susceptible to sunburn and cold in the winter.
- Depending on the variety, Crested dogs may have short or long, hard or soft coat types.
- They prefer to be in the company of their owners and can be excellent companions for lonely people.
- Chinese Crested dogs can suffer from dental problems, so they need especially thorough oral hygiene.
- Chinese Crested dogs can live up to 15 years with proper care and diet.
The Chinese Crested Dog is a unique and ancient breed that stands out for its unique appearance and high intellectual ability. They are great as companion dogs, but can also be used for rodent hunting. Like any breed, they require a certain amount of care and attention from their owners. However, if you are willing to provide them with the right environment and care, the Chinese Crested Dog will be a great and loyal friend to your family.