The Bearded Collie is a breed of dog that not only has an unusual appearance, but also has excellent working qualities and a high mental capacity. They require regular grooming and plenty of exercise. If you are willing to give the Bearded Collie adequate care and attention, it will be a great companion and loyal friend for years to come.
The bearded collie is a medium-sized dog with long hair and an unusual beard on its muzzle. They have the physique typical of the collie – slender and graceful. The height of a bearded collie is from 50 to 60 cm at the withers, and the weight is from 18 to 30 kg.
Hair color can be different: white, black, golden, red, tricolor or bicolor. The main distinguishing feature of the breed is the beard, which looks like a thick, long red or white hair on the muzzle. This unusual appearance makes the bearded collie one of the most recognizable dog breeds.
Character and behavior
Bearded collies are intelligent and independent dogs that are highly efficient and energetic. They love an active lifestyle and need daily walks and exercise. The Bearded Collie is a working dog breed that was bred to work on farms and help shepherds with herd control.
Bearded Collies are friendly and loyal to their owners, but can be secretive and suspicious of strangers. They learn quickly and obey commands well, but they can also show their independence and stubbornness.
The coat of a bearded collie requires regular care. It needs to be brushed and washed regularly, especially in the beard area, to avoid odor and dirt. It is also recommended to trim the hair around the ears and between the toes on the paws. The beard should also be trimmed and cleaned from feedings.
In addition to coat care, the bearded collie needs plenty of physical activity and mental stimulation. It is recommended to give her plenty of time for walks, games, and exercise classes. Bearded collies are great for various sports with their owners, such as agility, frisbee or training.
How long does a bearded collie live?
The average life span of a bearded collie is 12 to 15 years. However, like any other dog breed, longevity can depend on many factors, such as genetics, health, lifestyle, and care of the dog. With proper care and attention to health, the Bearded Collie can live longer than the average life span of the breed.
Top 10 facts about the bearded collie:
- The bearded collie is a relatively new breed of dog that was bred in Russia in the 1990s.
- The bearded collie is a unique breed of dog because it is the only breed with a beard on its muzzle.
- The name “bearded collie” comes from the English word “beard”, which means “beard”, and “collie”, the name of the breed.
- The Bearded Collie is an intelligent and easily trainable breed of dog that was bred to work on farms and help shepherds with herd control.
- The character of the Bearded Collie can be stubborn and independent, but they are also very loyal to their owners and family.
- Bearded Collies require regular grooming, as their thick and long coats need daily brushing and washing.
- This breed of dog requires ample physical activity and mental stimulation to keep them healthy and in good spirits.
- Bearded Collies can be used for various sports with their owners, such as agility, Frisbee, or training.
- Bearded collies may suffer from certain medical conditions such as hip dysplasia or eye health problems, so it is important to have regular vet visits.
- Bearded Collies are not only great working dogs, but also great companions who can be great friends and members of your family.
The Bearded Collie is a unique breed of dog that has an unusual appearance and personality. They are intelligent and easily trained dogs that were bred to work on farms and help shepherds with herd control. Bearded collies require regular grooming and plenty of exercise. They can make great companions and friends, but they also require socialization and training. The Bearded Collie is a dog breed that may be suitable for people who are looking for an active and intelligent pet that is ready for any adventure.